11.18.2013

3D HoHoHo Tree Silhouette Tutorial

Note: I have just started a new website at 3DCuts.com with my cutting files in .svg and .pdf formats for those of you without a Silhouette. This one isn't up yet but an entire alphabet shadow box series is! Stop by and see in this set of cutting files with endless craft possibilities. There is also a freebie here.

Project Description:
I have taken the letters in HoHoHo and turned them on their side! That is the design element behind my newest 3D tree design. This easy to make project creates a stunning centerpiece when arranged in groups.  The cutting file includes the tree in 2 different sizes however you can stretch it to any size to create variety.



HoHoHo Tree Tutorial:

Tutorial assembled using Silhouette Software Release 2.7.18. This tutorial assumes you already know how to use the Silhouette and Silhouette software. It can be cut on both Cameo and Portrait Silhouette machines.

Supplies Needed:

  • Template from Silhouette On-Line Store here (Coming soon).
  • Glue dots 3/16"
  • Paper Glue
  • Silhouette Cameo or Portrait
  • Card Stock in red and green
  • Small binder clips

Steps for completing the HoHoHo Tree project:

1. Download the cutting file for your Silhouette Cutting machine from the Silhouette Online Store here.




2. Prepare and cut the file.
  • Copy and paste one tree file into a new file and cut 3 times from green card stock.
  • Copy and paste the smaller tree into a new file and cut 3 times from green card stock.
  • Copy and paste the bases and stars into a new file and cut from red card stock.
  • Each tree is made from 3 matching trees, 1 base and 3 stars.

3. Assemble the tree.
  • Apply paper glue to the tips of all letters on ONE edge of one tree. Don't go in further than 1/4" from the edge.


  • Place a second tree on top and press together. Allow to dry.

  • Once dry, turn back the top tree from the open side and apply glue to the first couple of tips again only going in about 1/4"

  • Place the third tree against them working it between the two trees already together. They will bow apart. 
  • Quickly added tiny binder clips to hold them in place while the glue dries.
  • It is easiest to work a few ends at a time on each side and slowly move up the tree.

  • You can move to the other edge and glue the first group of letters together and clip those as well.
  • Look at the tips of the trees and you will notice a dotted fold line. Fold just the tip in half bending out.

  • Proceed gluing up the two sides of the tree.  
  • Only do a couple of branches and then clip them. The goal is to get the clips in place before the glue starts setting to get a good bind.
  • Proceed up the two sides together, a few branches at a time until you reach the tip.
  • Glue the three tips together.
  • Allow the tree to dry and then remove all the binder clips.



  • Fold the 3 stars in half along the dotted fold line.


  • Attach them to the point, one on each side using glue.  
  • Clip to hold until the glue dries.


  • Curl the base into a circle and use glue dots to hold.  The circle is to fit inside the base of the tree.



  • Use glue dots to attach the base to the three green trees. 
  • Make sure you keep it square as you attach it.




And then make the other one to go along, or a few more to create a festive forest!



**********
© 2013 Marji Roy, Ashbee Design

Sharing this post at some of these link parties. They are worth checking out for other ideas.


23 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love these fun little trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie. I do to! And I like them assembled in groups. Very graphic.

      Delete
  2. So neat! Visiting from Willow Pond linky ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You are welcome! Thanks for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks. I was taken by its graphic nature and how the words are hidden.

      Delete
  5. popping in from someday crafts link party!
    this craft caught my eye immediately, and i just love it. love the colours, the lines, the shape, the EVERYTHING! i pinned it and will have to give it a go, or get my DH to try it. he LOVES paper crafts like origami and pp up cards. thanks for sharing!
    xo, mama lola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send pictures if you do! I love the design also. I showed the post to my 89 year old Dad today when I visited him and he wants one!

      Delete
  6. Me too! Thanks for visiting and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I wish I had a little more time to make some today because they would be perfect centerpieces for the table I am decorating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Save the pattern and make them next year! We are always behind during this season.

      Delete
  8. This is a great idea, too cute! Thank you for sharing
    Sheena @ http://thekeeperofcheerios.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a thing for the design potential of trees! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  9. Amazing trees!!!Looks cool!Great idea!
    Thanks for tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can tell I have a teacher background! Tutorials make sense to me but they do take a lot of time. Glad you appreciate them.

      Delete
  10. I just received my Silhouette Portrait yesterday. I've been wanting one for a few years now and I finally decided to just get it. These adorable trees were my very first purchase in the Silhouette Online store and the first project I made last night. Thank you so much! They're adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I waited too long to get my Silhouette as well. And what fun I have had ever since. Paper crafts will never be the same. Enjoy and thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  11. I have 2 little daughters and hope to have fun with this special craft! Thanks 4 sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are super cute I had a friend tell me about them so I had to look them up. I am wondering if they are available SVG file for design space? Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. So sorry just read your initial post where said you do have an SVG but it is not available yet. I would love to know when it becomes available! Thank you so much!!!

      Delete